The ARK Foundation of Dayton, Inc.|
Manditory Reading for Pagemasters
Pagemaster are volunteers of the ARK Foundation of Dayton, Inc. to maintain the Web pages of the different sections.
This group is a forum for the discussion of web related issues for the volunteer
pagemasters which publish on this server. Please attend this group regularly
for the latest information about our web server, and for answers to the questions
that you and your fellow pagemasters are asking. We will try to meet on the
third mondays of each month, but the times will vary to suit members needs
as reported to us.
- People identified as Pagemasters will be responsible for assigned areas.
- The Pagemaster will be limited to the directory and sub-directories he/she controls.
- The pages and files will be put on the server by selected volunteers who know how to maintain files.
- It is good practice to keep a "master" copy of pages you have created and placed on the site.
- The default name for the home page in any directory is index.htm. Use this as your home page and point to other pages from it.
- If you refer to a directory in a URL, the index.htm in that directory will be displayed.
- CAUTION - While HTML tags are not case-sensitive, file paths and file names are! Put ALL filenames in lower case only!!!
- Keep the site clean, delete obsolete pages and files.
- The Webmasters has access to all files and will be the only ones who can input your files to the server.
Make sure your inline graphics are well behaved.
When you generate tags for inline graphics always include the height and
width qualifiers. This helps browsers format the page faster, and allows them
to display all the text on a page before they have the graphics downloaded.
You should also be sure to include the ALT qualifier for the benefit of text
browsers and those who have inline graphics turned off. For example, the banner
on top of this page looks like this:
Always list a Point of Contact at the bottom of the page.
You should always list an office or if possible a person responsible for the
data on that page. Make use of the A HREF="Mailto:" tag to make it easy for
people to contact your POC. See the bottom of this page for an example.
If you need to restrict access to your pages consult with the Webmaster. There are various ways to do this. Remember, no classified or sensitive data is allowed on the server.
Try to follow a consistent style.Use the Web as an alternate distribution method for your documents to reduce/eliminate paper.
- Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML) is the preferred method of presenting information on the Web.
- HTML is a method of tagging documents so Web browsers know how to format the text.
- You can view the HTML of any document by using "View/Source" from Netscape.
- You can download any document by using "File/Save as" or shift/click.
- You can create an HTML document using any editor, i.e., Notepad, Write, MS-Word.
- HTML documents should be saved as "text only with line breaks".
- Use an extension of .htm.
- You can view your draft HTML documents by using "File/Open File" in Netscape.
- You can place documents on the P drive and view them before making links to them.
- If you need pointers to your pages from other points in the system, contact the Webmaster.
For a list of tools to help you provide functionality to your web pages, see the
Pagemasters' Tools Menu
A menu of admin tools for the pagemasters. Includes, access control, file management, and
HTML validation tools. Most require Pagemaster ID/password.
Many of you have been asking about page counters. Before you read the rest of this take a look at the Statistics Page. The info you want to gather may already be available in the statistics. If you still think you need counters read on.
This page has been accessed
times since 1 Apr 96.
To put a counter on your home page, you need to first e-mail the
and ask us to set up the data file for you. Your request should include:
We will not put a counter on every single page you own, so don't even ask.
- Your name and e-mail address
- URL of the page the counter will be on
Check the on-line docs for details on how to implement a counter on your homepage.
Preferences for Netscape as used by ARK
Below are some of the important parameters to set under the "Options/Preferences" pull-down menu in Netscape.
Mail and Menus
Mail (SMTP) Server: ?
Your Name: your name
Your Email: your full email address, i.e., ?
Your Organization: ARK
News (NNTP) Server: ?
|No Proxy for:
Cache and Network
I recommend that you run with the Disk Cache set to zero. I've found that this can speed response time. Set Memory Cache to whatever amount seems appropriate considering the memory size of the particular PC.
Supported by: The ARK Foundation of Dayton, Inc.
a non profit organization since June 1995,
We support true science and Biblical religion.
Webmasters: Ron Cooper, Gloria Pamplin, Steve Hendrickson -
email: ARKY Webmaster
This site is scanned for viruses daily.